Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Does the Sun Storage 7110 do the job (Introduction)

I have just had a delivery of a Try and Buy Sun Storage 7110 Unified Storage System system. As you are aware this is Sun's new storage system built on top of the OpenSolaris Operating System. I am not going to look at the fancy features of the system which include one of the best GUI I have see and again the best Analytics which you would ever need (I think you could spot what the user had for breakfast with this system).

What I want to know will it do the job of a file server for my mixed Windows and Solaris environment.

Current System
Windows servers with dedicated disk systems and Solaris servers also with
dedicated disk system. The user ends up with 2 home drives (Windows & Solaris), which I want reduced to 1 home directory!!!

Bad News
We recently bought 2 NAS e-open system which set us back £20k which I have to say is a waste of space and it is not just me who says that (Open-E Review, Not a Storage Server
). The main reason is that Linux/Samba does not do it as a Windows server replacement and there is no mapping system between AD and LDAP, so I would have to reconfigure our Solaris system which is not the perfect solution.

No comments: